Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Crab Risotto

I'm a huge fan of all things risotto. As the 3rd largest snowstorm in Chicago history was beginning and I was hunkering down for the night, I thought it would be an ideal occasion to try a crab risotto recipe I saw on the Food Network's website after Googling new risotto recipes:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/crab-risotto-recipe/index.html

Crab Risotto


Ingredients
  • 1 ounce butter
  • 1 ounce vegetable oil
  • 1 medium1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
  • 8 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
  • 6 ounces jumbo lump crabmeat
  • 2 ounces chopped chives
  • 4 ounces grated Parmesan
  • 2 ounces white truffle salt
Directions
Heat the butter and oil together in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft. Do not brown, they should be translucent. Add the rice and saute for a further 3 to 5 minutes making sure the rice is well coated, Using a ladle, add about 1/2 cup of stock to the rice and stir over a medium heat until the rice is almost dry and all the stock has been incorporated. Repeat this process until the rice is cooked but still has a slight bite. The rice should be creamy and moist, not runny, and the cooking time should be around 30 minutes. Just before serving, fold in the crabmeat, chopped chives, and Parmesan. Sprinkle with a little truffle salt or oil if available.

Verdict
                           
Crab Risotto served with a Metropolitan Dynamo Copper Lager

This is pretty good, but a pretty potent dish with a very strong crab flavor. I ate this as a main dish but this would probably work best as a side to a piece of meat. Regardless of how it's served, the next time I make this I think I would reduce the amount of crab meat down to 4oz or so to make it more subtle. I made a stop to my local Whole Foods before making this in search of fresh crab, but I didn't see a perfect match and since I didn't need too much, I bought a small container of wild caught crab. I also discovered Whole Foods doesn't carry truffle oil, so I made due with truffle salt as a last second addition to the dish. I ate this with a Metropolitan Dynamo Copper Lager, a very good locally brewed lager. You can find their beer in most Chicago Whole Foods and Binny's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...